Ever had really great idea but forgot what it was later on? Maybe you are trying to come up with your “next big thing”, but you are drawing a blank? We have some advice on things you can do to stimulate your creativity muscle and come up with great ideas. These tips are applicable for just about anyone, including mobile application developers.
1. First and foremost, carry a notebook where ever you go. Ideas come and go and are often easy to forget. Writing down every idea including the ones you are not sure of makes certain that they will be remembered. With mobile phones now and days it is much easier to keep track of ideas with either a app like Evernote or notepad. iPad users can even use Siri or a voice recording app to take notes.
2. Pay attention to the things that make you grumpy. In the mobile application development world, eliminating these frustrating instances with an app idea is a great method for gaining consumers.
3. Listen to what makes friends and family grumpy. Just like you, the people close to you get annoyed by things around them. Listen for statements like “if only there was an app that did BLANK” and write them down. This can be a great way to gain inspiration.
4. Pay attention to your mistakes. When you do something that you would like to not have done, think about what could have prevented or lessened the impact of the action.
5. Go driving. There is something to be said for mindless tasks that simply let your mind wander. Driving, running, or walking are great ways to find your zen (balance) and relax. Try it, it works.
6. Think about existing products or apps and try to give them a new twist. Improving on someone else’s idea can lead to some fantastic innovation.
7. Question methods. If you see someone else’s product and you get that feeling that there may have been a better way to do it, think on it. By questioning the methods of others you can find some shockingly great ideas.
8. Do not judge your ideas. If you have ever had an idea and immediately dismissed it or told yourself “that’s stupid”, then you know what I mean. Even those “stupid” ideas can lead to something more.
9. When you are brainstorming, think about the problem, not existing solutions. Start with a blank slate and tackle the problem with your solution, not someone else’s.
10. Bounce ideas off your friends. If you have someone in particular that you work well with, sit down with them and talk it out. Two minds working on a problem are better than one. You will also find that you will feed off each other’s ideas and might even end on something completely different than what you started with.
11. Take a break. When you get writers block the best thing to do is walk away for a while and this is no different. Don’t force an idea, sometimes the best way to innovate is to just do something else.
12. Find the gap. Look at products that you or your competitor have and figure out what is missing. Sometimes offering a similar, more complete product can be very profitable.
13. Read. Reading books, magazines, or newspapers can stimulate the brain and help you come up with ideas. Even just surfing the web and reading peoples comments on things can be inspiring. Read as much as you have time for and let new ideas come to you on the backs of others ideas.
14. Listen to music. To some music is both inspirational and relaxing. Losing yourself in some music can be just the trick to let your mind wander around and strike gold.
15. Go people watching. Go out into a public area and simply watch people, how they interact, and what frustrations they run into. The general populace is a great source of both amusement and ideas.
16. Right random thoughts down. Take out your notebook and just spew some word vomit down onto the page. Anything from a list of objects to a paragraph of rambling. Random ideas can easily inspire something a bit more concrete.
17. Look at the world differently. If you find yourself stuck with half an idea or none at all, change your perspective. Opening up your mind and tackling a problem will let you see something that may have previously eluded you.
18. Try combining things or ideas that are unrelated. Don’t thing about why they don’t work together, just follow the whimsy and see where it leads. A great example of this is the birth of Rock and Roll which is a meshing of Blues and R%B.
19. Entertain the thought of “What If”. Sometimes the hardest thing to overcome is logical restrictions we put on the world around us. This can be very detrimental to creativity and innovation as new ideas are many times illogical.
20.Watch Syfy new and old. If you are working on mobile application development, Syfy is a great place to start. Exit the realm of reality and look back at all the stuff they could do in the movies and create it. You wouldn’t think things like Star Wars, Star Trek, or even Firefly would be that helpful, but they are full of ideas, thoughts, and “impossibilities”.
Everyone has faced one form of creativity block and one point or another. It can be a very frustrating thing to deal with but it doesn’t have to be. If you find yourself having trouble or needing inspiration, these tips will give you some ideas on how to do that. Whether writing an article or coming up with a new mobile application, the methods are effective. The mobile market is changing very quickly and what is “in” today can be “out” tomorrow so it is important to be ahead of the curve. Innovation is key in a world that is ran by evolving technology.